Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Important Announcement!

Just the other day during a conversation, I revealed that I would be working in an office for 3 weeks. Somehow it seemed that all this time, people don't really consider what I do as a job. But now that I'm in an office, then it's considered a proper job. Let it be made clear that I actually earn more in a month that most of my peers, with leisure time and a sane mind to spare.

I am making this announcement out loud that I do have a job! I am a photographer and a video editor. I own a small company which will be expanding this year to include more skilled professionals, like myself, who refuse to be a slave to the media industry. My time is valuable and people who hire me know that. Take for example this current stint with Red Comm in which I have to enter the office to edit a television programme. I wasn't one of the cheaper video editors, but they hired me anyway because of the quality of my work.

Photographers and Video Editors are skilled professions. Not everyone can do what we do, although that doesn't seem to be the case in Malaysia with so many lousy ones running around. Proper ones are out there, and our skills are worth something.

So yes, even though I do seem to have a lot more free time compared to most people, I do have a career.

With that aside, let me leave you with a couple of photographs of my current 'office'. I arranged the lights to improve the ambience of the room.

My Beautiful Office 01 My Beautiful Office 02

13 Comments:

At April 20, 2005 7:52 pm, Blogger Sivin Kit said...

"Somehow it seemed that all this time, people don't really consider what I do as a job." ~ tell me about it, people wonder what do pastors do? only conduyct weddings and funerals? :-)

"... committing their lives to something they are passionate about." ~ I can say I'm more passionate about what I do then ever before :-)

Having a job is one thing, having a career is great ... but discovering one's calling is even more adventerous and it's a life long journey full of surprises and twists in the plot.

 
At April 22, 2005 10:34 am, Blogger aMy said...

cheers to all the vdo editors (n photographers) out there! =)

 
At April 22, 2005 2:00 pm, Blogger Chin Hor said...

Amen to that! Stick it to the man and it's people! Don't forget, cheers to the videographers, the passionate people - indie BUT passionate!! I share your struggles too, but I couldn't be bothered what other people think. Life is too short for that. We can kick b*tt in our own original ways, as long as we are responsible with our lives and the people around us. Sex and Cash theory right Sivin? ;)

 
At April 22, 2005 2:24 pm, Blogger The Geek said...

hei james.

adrian here (ex-TBB) :p

never knew u had a blog.

good pics.

 
At April 26, 2005 12:31 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo James Tan!
your office lookes great!
if you ever need help with anything - like a music vid - you know me and my G5 are just across the water in Canada itching to get some more video work going!
neveroblivion@yahoo.com

inHisgrip,
-nick

 
At April 27, 2005 5:49 pm, Blogger Lepak said...

SOB, I wish my mom can read english so I can show her this blog. I'm sick and tired of her asking me everyday if I'm going to get a proper job. She said that at least I'll have "annual leave"(which I'll never have the time to take), "EPF & plenty of promotion"(yeah with the hours I work I dun think I can live long enuff enjoy the $$$ in my old age or get a promotion),"company sponsor holiday" (so that we can come back to work longer hours!)

I'm also tired of explaining to her what "freelancing" is. James...can you talk to my mom? haha

 
At April 28, 2005 2:33 pm, Blogger emyoon said...

hey james!
been quite sometime since i last spoke to you... has been quite awhile since i last read your blog as well.....
melawatians got the nscf "package" shall i say, today.... was browsing through all the thousands of pictures, took me a whole hour, at least!
reminded me of you as well as a whole bunch of other people....
hey, what's with the tons of pictures of stairs?!?!!?
and how in the world did you get so many of my pictures? how come i don't even know youn were taking my picture!!! and why are so many of them in there?!?!!? aarrrgghh!!!
i hate having my picture taken!! you know that... but worst is to have tons of people se my pictures!!! aaarrrggghhh!!!!

 
At May 05, 2005 3:16 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sky : Remember what I told you, organise your finance a bit so that you really look into your future route.Or else you end no where :-P

 
At May 29, 2005 10:40 pm, Blogger Reta said...

I do respect Video Editors (seriously) after watching two of them do their thang...it was like wow...creativity man.. =)

 
At May 30, 2005 3:42 pm, Blogger James Tan Chin Choy said...

Thanks to everyone who has been of support. :o) It's good to know you all exist!

 
At November 20, 2005 12:45 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very useful James Tan Chin Choy, I can use what you've got here on Important Announcement! as well as your other stuff for the research we're doing for Purpose driven life. Cheers, Anny.

 
At February 22, 2007 1:20 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info united kingdom cheap calling card Augmentation breast surgeon california Singapore united kingdom dvd players averege penis size Ga infiniti dealers http://www.renault-8.info/Irafelco-plotters.html worlds most expensive car wax International fitness club network kodak 4800 digital camera driver

 
At March 02, 2007 8:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home